New Year celebrations are a great way to welcome the new year. Checkout these easy new year resolutions and home organization tips to kick-off 2022 with a fresh start!
New Year Resolution Ideas for Home
In the spirit of new beginnings, try something different this year by picking new year resolutions to improve your home space. Here are our top picks:
Reduce Your Energy Use (And Lower Your Energy Bill)
You don’t necessarily need solar panels to start saving money on home energy bills. A few easy steps around your home can help reduce energy usage, lower your energy bill, and even extend the life of appliances.
- Always turn off the lights when leaving a room and consider switching to LED energy efficient bulbs.
- Use a smart thermostat to learn your behavior and adjust temperatures automatically.
- Air dry clothes with graphic patterns or items made from delicate material. This will reduce the number of dryer loads, while keeping your clothes in better condition.
- Wait until your dishwasher and washing machines are full before running them, even if they have a “small load” setting.
- When not in use, unplug appliances to reduce energy bleed.
- Check for leaks around doors and windows and reseal gaps as needed.
- Have your HVAC serviced yearly to improve its efficiency and keep it working in good condition.
Update Your Home “Look” In the New Year
Is there a room in your home you’ve always wanted to update? Make a resolution to give it a facelift in the new year.
Adding plants is a simple improvement that makes your home appear more "finished." A handful of bold arrangements, such as a giant flowered agapanthus or a potted palm in a colorful ceramic planter can go a long way to making your space feel updated and new. If you have children or pets in the home, make sure to pick non-toxic plants.
Another option is to add a new accent color to your existing decor. To freshen your style, pick an underutilized hue and add more of it in the shape of a new cushion or throw. A vibrant rug or runner may also serve as a focal point in your room.
Create a List of Repair Projects Around the Home
Whether you are confident in your home repair skills or prefer to leave it to the professionals, you can get ahead of projects by starting with a repair list and plan.
Even little repairs such as fixing scuffed paint or re-caulking the bathtub can seem daunting when you think about doing them all at once. Make the home repair process less stressful by tracking everything you want done, and then assigning dates throughout the year. Blocking out time in your calendar now can help you accomplish your tasks without feeling rushed.
Not sure what items should be on your list? A Full Home Inspection by a trained and certified WIN Home Inspector can provide a thorough report on the current condition of your home, complete with maintenance and repair tips!
Make your Home Safe and Sound
Home security is an important consideration for any homeowner. Start the new year by reviewing your current setup and making improvements to protect your home and family.
- Keep valuables out of sight of windows, and never leave garage or outside storage room doors open where someone can see what’s inside.
- Check door and window locks around your home. Repair or replace any worn or damaged locks.
- Make sure exterior home lights are working and pathways around your home are well lit.
- Consider adding a smart security system including cameras that you can control and monitor from your smart devices.
Check the Air Quality in Your Home
Maintaining good indoor air quality is crucial for a safe and healthy home environment. Here are pollutants and risk factors to look out for:
- Radon is a naturally occurring gas that can build up in the home. It is the #1 cause of lung cancer among non-smokers, and is only detectable through testing.
- Mold spores in the air can cause respiratory infections, asthma, and other health issues. Mold air testing should be conducted by a professional in partnership with an accredited laboratory.
- HVAC ducts and air filters collect dust and other pollutants over time. When not properly cleaned or maintained, it can compromise the air quality in your home, and reduce HVAC performance. To improve air quality, have your air ducts cleaned regularly and clean or replace air filters following instructions in user manual.
New Year Home Organization Tips
Cluttered home can make cleaning and other regular tasks more difficult. It can also be a stressor on mental health. Follow these tips to declutter your home and get a fresh start for 2022!
- Make use of extra holiday boxes and use them as “donation” boxes. Put unused clothes and items into your donation pile to reduce your clutter and help others in need.
- Identify and create extra storage space, for example, new shelves for your garage or a spice rack in your kitchen.
- Focus on decluttering one room at a time. This will save time as you won’t be running between rooms, and also allow you to take breaks after visible accomplishments (like completing a room).
- You may find food in the bottom of your freezer that is no longer good, or forgotten and broken items in your basement. Don’t be afraid to recycle or throw away items that can’t be donated.
- Get family members involved and make it fun with a game! You can award prizes for completed room such as getting to pick a movie or snack for the next family activity night.
- After your first big decluttering and cleaning of the year, it will be much easier to maintain a clean and health home throughout the rest of 2022!
Looking to learn more about your home, or get extra tips for a safe and healthy home in 2022? Click here to contact your local WIN Home Inspector and learn more about how we can help!